Using variable for file path in document()-function

Hi!

I've got a problem and could not solve it for my own. Does somebody got an
idea how to use a predefined path as a variable in the document()-function.

i.e:
Path to use: /afs/home/meyer/abc.xml

I normally use this: document("file:/afs/home/meyer/abc.xml")/nodes/nodes/*

But I want to be able to use something like this:
document($path)/nodes/nodes/*

by defining a variable with name "path".

I tried several combinations, also using the select attribute of xsl:
variable. But always failed. What did I wrong??

Any suggestions greatly aoppreciated..

Yunus Karakaya