Passing a variable number of parameters to a named-template

What I would like to do is duplicate what programming languages have:  pass
a number of parameters (or some similar mechanism) to a template without
knowing how many parameters were actually passed.  For example, JavaScript
has the arguments array and Java allows you to pass an array of
objects.  Can I implement something similar in XSL?  I did a search in the
archives and didn't find anything along the same lines as what I am looking
for (which is surprising, I think).

What kind of want is:

<!-- create the 'array' -->
<xsl:variable name="parameter">
    <sometag>value</sometag>
    <sometag>value1</sometag>
    <sometag>value2</sometag>

<sometag>value3</sometag>
    <sometag>value4</sometag>

<sometag>value5</sometag>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:call-template name="VariableNumberOfValues">
     <!--pass the 'array' -->
    <xsl:with-param name="param"><xsl:value-of
select="$parameter"/></xsl:with-param>
</xsl:call-template>

<xsl:template name="VariableNumberOfValues">
    <!-- iterate over the 'array' -->
    <xsl:param name="param"/>
   <xsl:for-each select ="$param/*">
        <!--process each element in param -->