XSL FO

Hi All:

    I have a quick question, hopefully it is a new one to the group
    Consider the following pseudo-code

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <xsl:variable name="var1" select = "text-align start"/>

I will like to put together an "fo:block" element using the value of that
variable
to look something like this:

    <fo:block text-align="start">some text</fo:block>

I am having a bit of a trouble inserting the value of the variable as a
property
to the fo:block.  Most transformations engines complain about illegal
characters.  Any ideas as to how can I do this either legally or play
some kind of a trick to let engine do it.

I tried using AVT, but that lead me nowhere.  Hope I am being clear
enough.

Greetings,

Carmelo Montanez