Mapping node references in/out of DOM?

Everyone,

I'm looking at presenting an arbitrary XML Hierarchy to a user in a UI where
they will select an element from it.  I am looking for ideas on how to map
the UI elements back to DOM elements.

In other words - output the DOM to a UI with some sort of mapping so that
when the user visually selects an element in the UI, I can easily locate the
selected element in the DOM.  The obvious answer is to pre-populate all the
DOM elements with unique keys, but this will prove difficult in my situation
- instead, I need something I can do at runtime...

Ideas, comments, and suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance!

Most Sincerely,

Cheers,

Jeffrey J. Saylor
Senior Internet Developer