Q.) Encode URL inside HTML Anchor Tag.

Hi:

Is there a function/transformation available in XSL that will allow me
encode URLs in HTML files?  For example, let's say I have the following
XML
fragment:

<some_xml_tag>
   <a_query_param>Here is the value for query param</a_query_param>
</some_xml_tag>

And inside my XSL I have the following fragment:

Currently when all is said and done, I get a query that looks like:

someurl?queryparam=Here is the value for queryparam

When what I would really like is a well-formed HTTP query (spaces
replaced
with + etc...).

So is something like that available already in XSL or am I going to have
write my own external function?

BTW, I am using Cocoon 1.8