numbering - counting - grouping

Hi,

I've got a problem with numbering (or counting ? or grouping?), and I don't
know how to solve it with a (for some reasons given) stylesheet structure.
The XML is as follows:
- contains different books
- each book can have different  contributors
- each contributor has a type

My stylesheet applies templates for <book>.
Within <book> it applies templates to contributors depending on their type.
   <xsl:apply-templates select="contributor [type='AU']">
       some sorting of all contributors = AU based on an element I have not
listed here
   </xsl:apply-templates>
   <xsl:apply-templates select="contributor [type='ED']">
       some sorting of all contributors = ED based on an element I have not
listed here
   </xsl:apply-templates>

The contributor template states that
- some output is generated only for the first occurance of a set of
'AUcontributors' or 'ED contributors', and
- then that all names from the selected contributors nodes are to be listed:

<xsl:template match="contributor">
   <xsl:if test="position()='1'">
	 <xsl:value-of select="type"/><xsl:text>:</xsl:text><br/>
   </xsl:if>
   <xsl:value-of select="name"/><br/>
</xsl:template>

What I need to add to the output a numbering of the contributors 'header'
data, so that the output looks like:
book 1
1. type is AU
Anna
2. type is ED
Ernst
Elisabeth

book2
1. type is AU
Andrew
2. type is CON
Cindy

I tried it with variables and parameters but it does not work.
Has anybody any Idea?

This is the XML document:

<list>
  <book>
   <id>1</id>
   <contributor>
      <type>AU</type>
	<name>Anna</name>
   </contributor>
   <contributor>
      <type>ED</type>
	<name>Ernst</name>
   </contributor>
   <contributor>
      <type>ED</type>
	<name>Elisabeth</name>
   </contributor>
 </book>
 <book>
   <id>2</id>
   <contributor>
      <type>AU</type>
	<name>Andrew</name>
   </contributor>
   <contributor>
      <type>CON</type>
	<name>Cindy</name>
   </contributor>
 </book>
</list>

Sorry for this lengthy email - but thanks in advance!
Barbara
---
Barbara Sellmer-Bruels
b.sellmer-bruels@klopotek.de