Re: translating between character sets

me> XML DTDs can not specify an encoding.

> They most certainly can! This isn't obvious from the spec but if you
> pay close attention to the productions you'll note that an external
> DTD subset can include a text declaration; e.g.
>
> <?xml encoding="ISO-8859-10">
> <!ELEMENT NAME (#PCDATA)>

Mike Brown made a similar clarification.

What I intended to say is that XML DTDs can't do what the original
poster implied they were doing, which is specify an encoding to be used
in document instances that conform to the DTD. They can of course
specify the encoding used in the DTD entity itself.

David