Re: Updated Benchmark Available

----- Original Message -----
From: Alexey Gokhberg <alexei@bluewin.ch>

> Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
> >
> > > Q: From the practical point of view, the result of this benchmark could be
> > > formulated as follows:
> > >
> > > "... All XSLT processors (except those crashed) demonstrated a good
> > > performance ..." (0.6 sec is a good response time - isn't it?)
> >
> > A: If your transformation consists of 5 sub-transformations  ( page
> > consists of 5 'sub-pages' )  the total responce time for  the
> > page is 3 sec. This is not a good responce time, I think.
> >

> I agree.
>
> However, for mission-critical tasks the XSLT processor should be,
> ideally, loaded persistently in memory, initialized just once, should
> provide cache for all relevant resources, etc. In particular, I would
> never use the stand-alone command line tools in mission-critical
> realtime environments.

Sure. My point was that we can not say that 0.6 sec is a good
response time. The topic "is  XSLT fast enough"  is in fact
very tricky and requires long discussion.

For example. Right now I'm working on some way of increasing the
speed of XSLT transfromations up to N times. In my universe,
pre-parsing of the stylesheet is not critical. Also, pre-parsing of
the stylesheet is not critical in the universe of AxKit -  ah - this
could be a long topic.

> I agree.
>
> Indeed, I do pre-parsing in my own XSLT implementation.
>
> But anyway, why should not we consider the original posting in this
> thread as what it really is - as the smart announcement of Napa?

That's another story. Of course it was not a benchmark, but
announcement of Napa with attempt to explain why the heck
should we pay attantion to yet another XSLT implementation. I don't
actually find it smart, because only not-experienced moron
will buy that  'Napa is very fast - that's why! Look at this 'benchmark' '
and from my point of view targeting on not-experienced morons is
not smart. But maybe it is wise. ;-)

Rgds.Paul.