RegExp as an extension function?

I was thinking, it would be really great if there was a RegExp extension
function in an XSLT processor.

from my experience, XSLT is normally criticized for three things:

1) the rtf vs. node-set thing.

2) output to multiple files.

3) powerful string handling functions, eg. regular expressions.

most XSLT processors already implement extension functions to handle 1 & 2.
I think most people on this list agree that having played around w/ those
extension functions extensively, they are likely candidates for XSLT 2 (or
1.1, whatever).
    I think it would be nice to similarly play around w/ regular expressions
similarly, to see if they have a place in XSLT 2.

I really, really don't mean to sound ungrateful for all the great work folks
have put into their XSLT processors.  just an idea.

thanks,
Imran Rashid