RE: replacing key() with pipe.

> PS. I encountered *crazy* jumps of the speed on different
> boxes and different versions of the VM. On some boxes
> SAXON is ( significantly ) faster than XT ( on some 'other
> stylesheets' ) because it seems that instant SAXON was
> compiled with some tool which works nice with  MS  VM.
> What is the tool?

Microsoft's jexegen. I think the Windows version of xt is built using this
tool as well, so I doubt this explains any difference. Certainly virtual
memory behaviour can cause surprises, there can also be surprises where one
processor happens to optimise some XPath construct and another processor
doesn't. The only case I found where Saxon runs substantially (i.e. five
times) faster than xt is a stylesheet (my knight's tour) that makes
significant use of format-number(): and then only with the Microsoft Java
VM, because it turns out xt uses an underlying Java class that is much less
efficient in Microsoft Java than in Sun Java.

Mike Kay