XSL Sort and Xalan

>From a previous post (not sure when), I thought I read that this was a bug,
but can't verify and the Xalan bug database is down.

I am generating a table in HTML from dynamic XML with 4 columns, any of
which I'd like the end-user to be able to sort. I have a parameter set in my
stylesheet  <xsl:param name="item"/> that I'm trying to use to set the
column that should be sorted, but it is not working.  No errors, just not
working.

This is how I am passing to the sort function:

<xsl:sort order="ascending" select="$item"/>

My question is - am I doing this incorrectly?  or, can you not pass
parameters to the xsl:sort element in Xalan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryce