capturing variables or not?

Hello!

Been away for a while.  My question is somewhat relating to XML (can't
really get away from it too much if I want
people to understand what I'm saying), but the focus is on XSL.

I know how to do the template match, and all that neat stuff with normal XML
(ie <tag></tag>).  But now after being
away from DTDs, XML, and XSL for 2 1/2 months I have to write a style sheet
for an xml document,  and I'm at a loss
on how to match these tags.  (Please bear in mind I did not write the XML)

The XML is written in the following way!

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
  <dppo:document>
    <dppo:titleDef>
    Fiji:  Crisis Over...or is it?
    </dppo:titleDef>
      <dppo:packetDef>
        <dppo:titleDef>
        Summary
        </dppo:titleDef>
        <dppo:paraDef>
          <dppo:textDef>
	Hostages held in Parliament since 19 May 2000 were released xxx.
	Ratu Josefa Iloilo will be sworn in as Fiji`s new president on
Tuesday, 18 July.
	Fiji`s two-month political coup is over, but the hostage crisis is a
huge disaster for Fiji.
	The fabric of multi-culturalism and harmonious race relations has
been severely strained.
	The economy, which was beginning to show signs of recovery after
years of stagnation, is hobbled.
          </dppo:textDef>
        </dppo:paraDef>
      </dppo:packetDef>
  </dppo:document>

(Note: These are over simplified stylesheets, without any of the bells and
whistles)

I tired doing the following but XSLT looks at it as a variable
so it wants me to declare it as a variable.

<xsl:stylesheet
	version="1.0"
	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
	xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
    result-ns="fo">

<xsl:template match="/">
 <HTML>
     	<HEAD>
		<TITLE>
		</TITLE>
	</HEAD>
 	<BODY>
		<xsl:apply-templates />
	</BODY>
 </HTML>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="dppo:document">
		<xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

When I do, the text does display however its not really being
matched by anything except the variable declaration!
So the text cannot really be manipulated by the stylesheet
just displayed.

<xsl:stylesheet
	version="1.0"
	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
	xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
    	result-ns="fo"
	xmlns:dppo="file:/dev/null">

<xsl:template match="/">
 <HTML>
     	<HEAD>
		<TITLE>
		</TITLE>
	</HEAD>
 	<BODY>
		<xsl:apply-templates />
	</BODY>
 </HTML>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="dppo:document">
		<xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I thought of trying to capture the information as a variable would
but I'm not quite sure how to do that.  I began to try the following
and was not sure if it would work.

<xsl:stylesheet
	version="1.0"
	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
	xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
    	result-ns="fo"
	xmlns:dppo="file:/dev/null">

<!-- These are the variables used  -->
<dppo:document	document="document">
<dppo:packetDef 	packet="packet">
<dppo:paraDef 		para="para">
<dppo:titleDef		title="title">....

If I could get a simple example on how to be able to match these
XML tags I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance, and I hope
that I'm out of the scope of this list.

Thanks again!

Eddy