Re: Abstract Interpretation of XSLT stylesheets

"Hutchison, Nigel" <Nigel.Hutchison@softwareag.com> wrote:

> Is any one out there working on abstract interpretation of
> XSLT stylesheets using a document schema as input?
[...]
> In the function programming world, people use abstract interpretation to do
> useful things like type checking and strictness analysis - XSLT is a
> functional language - ergo ...... .
>
> You can find useful things about a stylesheet if it applied to a document of
> a particular type.
>
> I can't be the only person on the planet to make this inference so I would
> be interested to find another.

Erik Meijer and Mark Shields are working on a system called
XMLambda, which includes a Haskell-like type system for
XML documents.  I've only seen one paper on it so far [1],
and it doesn't go into much detail about the type system
or inference algorithm, but it looks somewhat promising.
Don't know how much, if any, of this would apply to XSLT
though...

[1] XMLambda: A Functional Programming Language for Constructing and
    Manipulating XML Documents.  <URL: http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~mbs/ >,
    under "Publications and Preprints"