RE: Well-formed

> Does output have to be well-formed as it appears in the xsl
> stylesheet, or just the way that it will appear in the
> resulting output document.
>
> For example, I got the following error :-
> XSLT: The element type "fo:table-body" must be terminated by
> the matching end-tag "</fo:table-body>".

Yes.

The XSLT program must be a well-formed XML document, so all tags -- not only ones in the XSLT program -- must match.

Programming in XSLT requires a bit different thinking than the "usual approach" known from most traditional languages.  You might want to look at the various examples in the FAQ to see how similar problems have been solved.

--
  Thorbjørn