ANN. UX v 0.2. Grep in XSLT.( Re: path quesion )

----- Original Message -----
From: Kay Michael

> > I am processing 2 XML files within a single xsl file. From one file
> > I retreive a path value e.g. 'customer/age', from an element
> > , this value
> > is placed in a variable. I then want to look for the 'customer/age'
> > element in the 2nd xml file,
>
> There is no way in standard XSLT of constructing an XPath expression from a
> string (other than by writing a stylesheet to generate another stylesheet).
>
> You can do it in Saxon using the saxon:evaluate() extension function.

I would like to say once again that  I think it is bad that saxon:evaluate
( and xt:node-set ) are not in the standard.

However.

To those who may like to see that  'standard'  way of creating one
stylesheet out of another ( there are some twists there with
TransformAlias ;-)

Ux v 0.2 provides some version of grep, implemented in XSLT.

Ux v 0.2. ( source code published at http://www.pault.com/Ux/ )
also contains String -> node-set conversion,  almost 100%  clean
support for chaining complex transformations + many new
examples of how can XSLT replace perl ;-)

In the example below ( which works in Ux  v 0.2 )
'last' , 'grep'  and ' x'  are all XSLT stylesheets.

<xsl:variable name="to-exec">
    /! last | grep {login[@status='FAILED']} | x
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:copy-of select= "document(  $to-exec )"/>

Rgds.Paul.