RE: How is this part of the XSLT specification to be interpreted?

Jeni Tennison writes:
>Doh, just realised I missed the obvious.  Having a look at
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#literal-result-element reveals that if you use
>the 'exclude-result-prefixes' attribute on xsl:stylesheet or the
>'xsl:exclude-result-prefixes' attribute on any other element, then
elements
>in the namespace of the prefixes defined within it will be excluded from
>the result....

Not so.  This will only exclude output of the elements' namespace nodes,
not
the elements themselves.

So for example the following stylesheet:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version
="1.0"
                    xmlns:ped="http://tester.com"
                    xmlns:bdd="http://buster.com"
                    xmlns:jad="http://administrator.com">

<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="doc">
  <minding x="his peas and queues" xsl:exclude-result-prefixes="jad bdd">
     <jad:output1/>
     <jad:output2>
          <jad:output2a/>
     </jad:output2>
     <bdd:output1/>
     <bdd:output2>
          <bdd:output2a/>
     </bdd:output2>
  </minding>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Will output the jad and bdd elements but not their namespace nodes, which
potentially
is a bug, due to the fact it will be invalid xml.  But that's another
discussion.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<minding x="his peas and queues" xmlns:ped="http://tester.com">
   <jad:output1/>