Re: templates around templates.

> I guess the RequestLine template is being overridden by the higher-level
> Request template.
>
>  <xsl:template match="RequestLine">
>  <I><xsl:value-of select="."/></I>
>  </xsl:template>
>  <xsl:template match="Request">
>  <P style="color:red"><xsl:value-of select="."/></P>
>  </xsl:template>

Not overridden. You were apparently hoping that template order in the
stylesheet affects processing order.

An XSL processor starts at the root node (one node above the document
element), finds the template that best matches that node, and executes the
instructions in that template.

If one of the instructions in the template is an xsl:apply-templates, then
the templates that best match the nodes identified by the XPath expression
in the select attribute are found and their instructions are executed.

There are built-in templates that result in recursive processing of
certain types of nodes. These are shown in the XSLT 1.0 Recommendation.

   - Mike