Re: Netscape 6 lack of XSL support

"Mark Volkmann" <volkmann@inlink.com> writes:

> Here are some quotes from
> http://www.netscape.com/browsers/future/standards.html#3.
>
> > Rather than supporting the formatting of XML documents through CSS1,
> Microsoft has chosen to focus on formatting through XSL. As Tim Bray, a
> co-editor of the XML specification has noted:
>
> > "Microsoft's XSL efforts are very impressive, but (readers will pardon us
> being something of a broken record on this subject) XSL is in the future."
>
> > He further adds, "It seems obvious to me that for anyone who wants to
> deploy XML in production mode right now, XML + CSS is the way to go."
>
> I think these are absurd statements!

Mark, the date on the article that Netscape is refering to is Oct
14th, 1998.  In October 1998 XML + CSS was the way to go and XSLT was
the future.  However, standards evolve quickly and with the available
support for XSLT right now, there's no reason not to support it.

It looks to me like a feeble attempt by Netscape to justify the lack
of XSL support in Netscape 6.  The overestimate people's gullibility.
I was quite disappointed when I discovered that they had no support for
it.

	Regards,
	ldd