<xsl:variable>??

Hi I´m new to this list, and is not yet familiar with all the terms.
My problem should be very simple, but I can't get it to work.

I want to make at tablelist over a number of items. If they have the same
title as the first shown Item, I want to do one thing. If any title is
different from the first, I want to do something else.

I keep getting this error:
XSL Runtime Error
Keyword xsl:variable may not be used here.

This is the xsl:

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:variable name="FirstTitle"> <xsl:value-of select="item/Title"/>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:for-each select="item">
	<xsl:choose>
		<xsl:when test="$FirstTitle = Title">