RE: MSXML variables and DOCTYPE

You can pass in parameters using the addParameter method on the XSLProcessor
object.  This is documented in the SDK downloadable from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/webtechnology/xml/msxml.asp.

The docs include this JScript example, which is easily translated into
VBScript:

Using a variable in XSL:

  <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="...">
    <xsl:param name="myBaseName" />
    <xsl:value-of select="$myBaseName" />
  </xsl:stylesheet>

Using a variable in JScript:

  var myVariable = 5;
  //...load XML, XSL, and create xslTemplate here
  var myProc = myTemplate.createProcessor():
  myProc.input = xmldoc;
  myProc.addParameter(myVariable, "myBaseName");
  //now you can perform the transformation.