Applying templates within a variable

At 11:16 PM 3/13/00 -0500, you wrote:
 >Perhaps you are giving us too much information to be able to see clearly
 >what you need?  Now it looks to me like you simply want to put a piece
 >of output in a variable and pass it into a template as a parameter:

sorry, perhaps you did not notice the rest of my email - I show an example
of how I was able to successfully pass content via a variable in a way
similar to your example.

However, the problem was that if I have <xsl:apply-templates/> in my
variable, the templates do not get applied.

 >See the FAQ etc., on RTFs vs. node-sets and the need to use either
 >xsl:copy-of or node-set() to get the RTF back out complete with tags.

Everything seems to suggest that <xsl:copy-of $var> is right.  After
extensive searching, I can find no explanation for why including
<xsl:call-templates/> in my variable wouldn't work.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated - here's a simplified
example:

<xsl:template match="test1">
   <xsl:variable name="var1">
     <xsl:call-template name="foo"/>   <!-- output copied properly -->
     <xsl:value-of select="test2"/>    <!-- output copied properly -->
     <xsl:apply-templates/>            <!-- has no effect !!????   -->
   </xsl:variable>
   <xsl:call-template name="fontstyle">
     <xsl:with-param name="param1" select="$var1"/>
   </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="fontstyle">
   <xsl:param name="param1"/>