Inheritance Model (was: XSL-fo)

Stephen Deach wrote:

>Any property that is marked "Inherited: yes" in the summary header to the
>property's definition may be placed on any fo in the flow hiererchy (below
>the fo:flow node), and will inherit downward to all "children".

I have a couple of questions to follow Stephen's reply:

1) You say that I cannot specify inheritable features on fo:root (e.g.
   define a common font for all fo:page-sequences). Where in
   the spec is it written? I refer to [5.2 Inheritance] that poses
   no limit on the collocation of inheritable features.

   (As for me, I am glad to see an upper limit for inheritance at fo:flow
   level - I suggested it in the RenderX DTD, half a year ago. I was sure
   the idea was rejected by the WG).

2) Many features are marked as "Inherited: no" but may assume the value
   of "inherit". I have two choices about them:

   A. These features cannot be specified but on elements to which they
      are ascribed explicitly in the specs; therefore,
      table-layout="inherit" only makes sense in a fo:table *nested
      into another fo:table* (???), and size="inherit" is *meaningless*
      (though permitted), as no two simple-page-masters may ever include
      one another;

   B. These features can be specified in the same places as the inheritable
      ones; it means that, of the whole variety, only ~20 properties are not
      inheritable, and the rest is permitted virtually anywhere in the tree.
      Farewell to attribute validation.

      Moreover, having size="inherit" or master-name="inherit" obliges us
      to permit these features even above the fo:flow level. Mess increases.

   I am afraid XSL could not swallow CSS2 inheritance model yet ;-). Which
   of A and B is true? Or there's a third alternative that I have missed?

Regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX