Re: XSL & DTD

Hi all, and thanks Mike for the reply:

Before posting yesterday I did indeed try what you suggested. I added to start.xml the following code:

<!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [

<!ENTITY % globals SYSTEM "globals.dtd">

%globals;

]>

<xsl:stylesheet>

</xsl:stylesheet>

But when I open start.xml in the browser, I get a sort of useless error message from IE5.5 (running msxml2): "Invalid procedure call or argument". The message references a line (75) and character (3) number. But the file it references, start.xml, contains only 40 or so lines. So...I reason that IE5 is really talking about the xsl file, 'start.xsl', that start.xml refers to. It has more than 75 lines. But the line in question seems benign enuf. Here it is, omitting a prior <xsl:for-each>:

<xsl:value-of select="@NM" />&#160;<xsl:value-of/>&#10;</xsl:for-each>

When I ask IE5 to validate start.xsl I get a more meaningful error message:

Line number 10:

Source text: <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

It seemed like IE5 was ultimately going to insist that I have the entire 'XSL DTD'. So I gave up and posted my initial query.

By the way, if I remove the DOCTYPE declaration from the XSL file, the browser no longer complains and my start.xml file opens just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Cordially,

Paul