RE: JavaScript

At 02:46 PM 2/15/00 -0500, Hunter, David wrote:
>The HTML 4.01 spec does indeed provide for putting SGML comments inside a
><script> element, and gives examples on how to do so for JavaScript,
>VBScript, and TCL.
>
>The XHTML 1.0 spec doesn't seem to comment on this, except to say that "&"
>and "<" characters must be escaped, or enclosed in a CDATA section.
>
>I'm thinking that this is one potential area where XHTML might break older
>browsers, unless all script is included in external files.

That's my conclusion as well.  I'm doing a book (yet another) on XHTML, and
just ran some sample files through a dozen browsers.  The only way to get
scripts containing the offending characters (<, >, &) through to a browser,
even the latest ones is to use an external reference.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com