XML hierarchy

Hi all
I am quite new to xsl (having practiced dsssl before) and I am trying to
build a toc in an output XML document. For this, I want to build a string
containing the herarchical situation of an element : in plain english, for
a division, I want to build the chapter number of this division, as in :

1. Chapter
1.1 Subchapter
1.2 Subchapter
1.2.1 AndSoOn

I can't manage to find a way to do it (I am sure there is one)

Does anyone have a clue ?

Jany