Re: [Xconq-general] Xconq Ranking at Sourceforge

Elijah Meeks wrote:

Though I'm extremely proud of this, I wonder if it's a
glitch.

It could be. Sourceforge has said that they are experiencing some problems with the rankings system. However, take Bochs for example; although they outclass us in page views and downloads, their tracker activity is relatively low. Tracker activity is factored into the rankings.

I'd like to see the system sf.net uses to
determine percentile.

To quote Sourceforge docs:

"The current project rankings formula is as follows:

log (3 * # of forum posts for that week) + log (4 * # of tasks ftw) + log (3 * # bugs ftw) + log (10 * patches ftw) + log (5 * tracker items ftw) + log (# commits to CVS ftw) + log (5 * # file releases ftw) + log (.3 * # downloads ftw)"

As you can see, downloads are dropped to 3/10 of their value, but tracker items are multiplied by 5 and patches by 10. Since logs (presumably base-10) are being taken, an order of magnitude will only vary by 1. If Bochs' downloads are 100 times more than ours, their score only gains 2 over ours. By contrast, we had 3 patches in the past week, and 3*10 = 30, so our score gained 1.x for that. Plus, we had 3 new tasks, so our score gained 1.y for that. So, with those two terms alone we could hypothetically close the gap.

That said, and as I have mentioned to you in private email, I do not suspect that this is sustainable. And, I am more interested in developing a good game than in getting good rankings on SF. Things will continue to fluctuate, probably wildly. Next week, we could be back to hanging out around 400 or 500 again. Big deal. Development continues.

I only mentioned the ranking yesterday because I think it reflects well on our project; tracker activity indicates vitality (but not necessarily popularity).