Re: Publicity Test Run

Lincoln Peters wrote:

Perhaps a better system for categorizing games, both by genre and
development stage, would go a long way here.  Something like this
updated version of my proposed GTK+-based "Welcome" screen (which could
be mimicked to the same effect with TclTk or ParaGUI):

http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/welcome2.png

Yes. I had some very, very similar thoughts a couple of weeks ago. I had intended to quietly introduce such a system when I was creating the SDL/ParaGUI setup screens.

For the most part I agree with your storyboard. I would suggest that "SciFi/Fantasy" be broken up into two separate genres: "Fantasy" and "SciFi", and that another genre, "Miscellaneous", be added. The Insects game would likely fall into that category.

Also, I think that with the "Development" checkboxes, the "Show unfinished games" checkbox is no longer necessary. Indeed, finding a way to get rid of that checkbox or something similar is what led me to think of the classification system which you have also arrived at. I am not very comfortable with the word "unfinished" in the context of Xconq, since it does not necessarily mean incomplete development.

The historical genres might benefit from being renamed to things like "Stone and Bronze Age Warfare", "Iron Age Warfare", "Gunpowder Age Warfare", "Industrial Age Warfare", and "Modern Age Warfare". Another genre might be needed to cover Advances or Civ2 like games where a progression through multiple ages is possible.

  Just my two cents,
    Eric

P.S. The way I had previously been considering prior to this classification system was to break the Xconq library up into a number of sublibraries, and then setup navigation to the different games libraries. However, this creates a problem for games that may belong to more than one genre.