Re: New Home for Xconq Project?

Hi Stan,

Thanks for weighing in.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Stan Shebs wrote:
> >   Over the past few months I have had some discussions with various
> > people about whether the Xconq project should be moved to a new host.
>
> It's certainly worth a serious look. The main advantage of the RH
> sources site is that it's managed by professionals who immediately
> have people all over them if things stop working; it's the same
> machine as hosts GCC, and you can imagine the urgency when the GCC
> sources are no longer available.

I seem to recall that one of the outages was for more than 10
hours. Presumably this was hardware-related, but it raises
questions about clustering, redundancy, and whatnot....

>Many sites with that level of
> activity wish they only went down twice in a year!

This is true.

> I'm not really up-to-date on the alternate hosting options though.
> Sourceforge was pretty abysmal when I tried to check out a project
> some months ago; most cvs updates simply failed to complete and timed
> out.

Good to note.

>Savannah used to have a problem with its admins disappearing
> without telling anybody, dunno if that's gotten better. They also
> tend to be more ideological about freeness, although I don't think
> that's an issue for any part of Xconq.

Yeah. They also had a significant security breach back near the
end of last year, IIRC. The only reason why I might favor them is
that their set of tools is more familiar to me. Sourceforge (which
I investigated a few nights ago) does things differently (which
does not imply that their way is inferior): their trackers and
file release system, to name a couple of examples.

However, Sourceforge is at least an order of magnitude larger
than Savannah, I think.

I will see about putting my development branch of the Xconq
sources on Sourceforge in the way of making a trial of it. If
things go well, then we could move the Xconq mainline branch
there at a later point, if we wanted to.

  Thanks,