Re: SDL Interface Development

Hi Erik, it's been a while since you've been heard from,

1. it should be OS-independent

All of it is.

2. it should be included inside the Xconq build. Otherwise, you can spend forever just trying to get
everything to compile clean, before you can start any
work.

Possibly. I think that between providing installers for precompiled binaries for MinGW32 and providing source RPM's for Linux and other platforms, there may not be a need to bundle everything together. But, if you, Skeezics, and others would prefer a giant source tarball with all the dep config scripts slaved to Xconq's one configure Script to rule them all, I will consider it. I would still prefer to provide the packages separately. Among other things, it will help to foster good will with the developers of the various prereq software components.

You've raised the barrier to entry so high, that
nobody but the most fanatical will attempt to maintain
the code.  Which means the program will die out when
the fanatics move on.

As I mentioned in earlier postings, it is not necessary to always keep up with the latest and greatest. It is enough to set a standard as far as the prereqs go, and then adhere to that standard. Upgrades to the prereq packages only need to be done occasionally.