Re: SDL Interface Development

On Sunday 31 October 2004 16:28, ejessen@adelphia.net wrote:
> [not including the libraries in the build raises] the barrier to entry so
high, that
> nobody but the most fanatical will attempt to maintain
> the code.  Which means the program will die out when
> the fanatics move on.

Insightful.

On Sunday 31 October 2004 08:52, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> Just to chime in from the Solaris camp - this all sounds great, as long as
> the dependent libraries are reasonably cross-platform and the build for
> non-Linux/Windows machines (is that the diplomatic way to say "real Unix"
> machines? :-) doesn't become untenable.

Absolutely.

Here's a quick 'fact check' listing the library dependancies and weather or
not they currently support Linux, Sun, and Windows platforms:

Libary           Linux         Mac 9        Mac OSX        Sun        Windows
------           -----         ------      ---------      -----      ---------

libsdl             X              X            X            X           X
paragui            X              X            X            ?           X
FreeType           X              X            X            X           X
Zlib               X              ?            ?            ?           X
libpng             X              X            X            X           X
SDL_Image          X              X            X            X           X
Expat              X              X            X            X           X
OpenGL             X              X            X            X           X

I was conservative. I'm pretty confident that Zlib is supported by Sun :).
Overall my impression is that ParaGUI is careful about cross-platform
compatibility.

Please modify as necessary.

-Coop