Adapting GIS data to Xconq

I've been working on how to adapt the GIS data to Xconq, and have run
into a few problems that I thought need some discussion amongst the
other Xconq developers and players:

1. I don't think it's possible to un-define a terrain type once it has
been defined, so if, for example, a terrain module supported the use of
coatings to represent soil composition, there would be no way to disable
it (and thus free up some memory) in a game that doesn't need to deal
with soil composition.  How difficult would it be to implement such a
thing?

2. The NLCD system of classification used by the USGS treats developed
areas as a terrain type, whereas Xconq usually treats them as units.  In
scenarios such as Beirut and Gettysburg, I can see the advantages of
defining developed areas as terrain type(s), but games on a larger
scale, such as the Standard game, would not work if towns and cities
were treated as terrain types.  Perhaps the best solution would be to
define developed areas as terrain coating types, and allow developers to
make units that go on that terrain?  I'm really not sure.

3. If the terrain module is to define terrain types for developed areas,
how much detail would be required?  The NLCD system breaks it down into
three types: Low Intensity Residential, High Intensity Residential, and
Commercial/Industrial/Transportation.  I figure that the terrain module
should be able to handle infrastructure (various types of roads), and
depending on the answer to #2, at least one terrain type to represent
types of urban "terrain".

Eventually, I may want to find a way to synthesize realistic random maps
using this terrain module with its many facets (mostly implemented as
coatings), but that can wait.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

There is a secret person undamaged within every individual.
		-- Paul Shepard