Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online

Jim Kingdon wrote:
Unless there is multi-platform, lightweight rendering API that can
take a list of Pango glyphs (which I am led to believe is what comes
out of the far end of the Pango pipeline) and actually draw them on
the display, I am not sure how much use it would be to us.

It is possible that http://sdlpango.sourceforge.net/ is such a thing.
Although that page seemed to describe lots of issues, without quite
saying just what SDL_Pango does.

I looked at their code example. It appears to be just what I had in mind. It takes a Pango context (containing the glyphs) and draws it onto a SDL surface. Perfect. Case closed.

Possibly. But, I have previously mentioned the possibility of writing labels in runic alphabets (both historical and fictitious):

It is the kind of thing which wouldn't be off the shelf. But using Unicode's private character numbers and writing yourself a font which the usual UTF-8 tools can process might be just as easy as doing everything from scratch.

Ah, I forgot about the private character numbers in Unicode. I think that this solves the abovementioned problem. Good thought.

Of course the real point of using something like Pango would be if we
want to deal with arabic, thai, bidirectional, and the other
complicated cases.

Sure.

Based on the info you just provided, it looks like we can cover both the internationalization issue (for people who want to use SDL Xconq in a language other than en_US), and the game designer-specified labels issue.

  Thanks,