Re: Using terrain coatings and existing code to model topography,weather, and vegetation

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 18:02, mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> I think if I wanted to model a hurricane, I might do it by having the
> storm be a unit that detonates on every turn but doesn't destroy itself
> when it detonates.  Then the detonation effect could cause damage to
> nearby units and potentially even modify terrain.  I'm not sure how I'd go
> about making it move in a storm-like way, although I think maybe it could
> be made to be blown around by the existing "wind" code.

I assume that the hurricane would be an independent unit, and the
independent side would have an AI (and thus could do things).  It would
get especially tricky to move the hurricane in a storm-like way, since
the iplayer would try to use it like a normal unit.  Of course, since it
doesn't understand detonating units, it might behave in amusing (?)
ways, but it would not behave like a hurricane.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

Q:	"What is the burning question on the mind of every dyslexic
	existentialist?"