Morale and opinions

I've been studying the documentation for morale and opinions, and based
on the documentation, both features appear to be incomplete.  In the
case of morale, I can find tables to control how it rises and falls
based on various situations, but I can't find a way to actually make
morale affect a unit!  In the case of opinions, I can find a mechanism
to make a unit revolt if its opinion of its own side drops too low, but
I can't find a way to make those opinions change from their starting
points during the game!

This would make it hard to implement traditionally unreliable units,
such as orc hordes, as without either morale or opinions, the side has
no way to affect the chance of the unit revolting.

I can think of a few other things that should affect morale and/or
opinions (e.g. fighting against or alongside a traditional enemy [e.g.
orcs and elves], being repaired [or just being near a unit capable of
performing repairs], watching as a friendly repair unit is destroyed,
etc.), but they're irrelevant as long as the morale and opinions code is
in a non-functional state.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>