Re: Assigning tasks to multiple units?

Lincoln Peters wrote:

Semi-automatic AI control, of course, has already been discussed at
length, but simply being able to manually assign the same plan/goal/task
to multiple units would help significantly as well. This would be most
easily accomplished if there was an easy way to select multiple units
and give them orders simultaneously.

I've been thinking along similar lines. And, indeed, if you look at some of the code in the new prerelease that I'm making available this afternoon, you will find that I have already added partial support for this in some of the functions that determine which unit action buttons appear in the bottom panel. However, I am not quite ready to implement multiple selection as far as clicking goes just yet. It is most definitely on my agenda, and may be appearing in the fairly near future.

1. A "lasso" tool comparable to the tool of the same name in Photoshop
and the GIMP, so that you could draw a marquee around an area and select
all units within it.

That's one I hadn't thought of. I was thinking more about being able to do rectangular or circular selections.

A prefix arg could supply the radius of a circular selection, or the maximum number of units to be contained in either a rectangular or circular selection. I am still thinking about this aspect.

2. A method of selecting and deselecting units based on various
criteria.  Perhaps a dialog that looks something like:

We could go for something fancier like the dialog at some point. But, for starters, I think it would be easier and still quite handy just to be able to control-click to select/deselect individual units, and be able to do a rectangular selection just by holding down on the shift key and click-dragging.

Of course, we need to think about whether things should be the same in move mode and in survey mode. As it currently stands, movement/combat can be done by left-clicking in move mode, and by right-clicking in survey mode. Before doing anything wrt multiple selection, we need to decide whether this convention (apparently decided by Stan) should kept.

It would also help to have a better mechanism for creating formations,

I mentioned this on the list fairly recently. Maybe it got lost in the debate that I was having with Hans at the time.... What I suggested (and intend to implement) is that the current unit should be regarded as the potential formation leader, and when "F" is pressed the user should be prompted for follower units to click on. Pressing 'enter' would accept the list, and pressing 'escape' would cancel the command (per usual).

There is an additional question as to how formation-setting should work in the case when multiple units are selected. In that case, I think it might be better to ask for a leader instead (as is done now in the Tcl/Tk interface for a single selected unit), under the assumption that the selected units are intended to be followers.

And there is the kernel-level issue of how a formation should behave if its leader is destroyed. I think it would be nice for an unit of the same type as the leader to inherit the role of leading the formation, if such an unit can be found and is a member of the formation, and is no more than one cell farther away than the nearest formation member. Otherwise, the formation member (without regard to type) nearest from the destroyed leader should perhaps inherit leadership of the formation. This could, in some cases, be the wrecked version of the leader.

and for adding and removing units from those formations as needed,

I suppose a formation editor dialog could be implemented at some point. However, I would probably be content to just be able to more efficiently setup formations; it would make adding or dropping a few units a less arduous, though not ideally easy, task.