Re: Feature Request: Advance Prohibits Advance

mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Eric McDonald wrote:

I looked it up in the manual, and it turns out there's an
advance-consumption-per-rp table which (assuming it's implemented) does
more or less what I thought would be necessary.  To force the side to
choose ground or space battles, you have an advance for each which
requires a point of "research commitment", and you only get one point of
that, so you have to choose one or the other.  To force choosing one or
the other first, but eventually allow them both, make it require 100
points of research commitment, give the side 100 points, but then make it
hard to produce additional points... so they can eventually make another
100 and take the other path, but it'll take a while.

This is an interesting thought. Among other things, it shows me that you are fit to be considered a "seasoned" Xconq game designer, because of demonstrated aptitude at twisting existing features to mimic non-existent features. :-)

The "advances speed up other advances" thing could also be done easily
with materials.... having "Formal Logic" increases your production of
"journal papers", which are needed for other advances.

Depends on which journal, and who the author(s) and referee were. For some, I think formal logic serves as a detriment....