Re: Indirect cXP awards?

Lincoln Peters wrote:

I don't see a way that the actions of one unit can result in a cXP award
for another unit (though I imagine that such a thing would involve the
"unit control" mechanism).  Is there a way to do this?  Is this
something else that has yet to be implemented?  Or has such a thing even
been considered yet?

I hadn't considered this before. I think you may be right in that the unit control mechanism should be involved for "missile units".

I have thought about the distinction between guided, seeker, and simple missile before, but the particular cXP consequence of using a guided missile had escaped my attention. This is an interesting consideration.

(This kind of mechanism would not only be applicable to ships carrying
missiles.  It could also be applied to starship firing photon torpedoes,
wizards firing fireballs, and all sorts of other things.  And, since the
attack is supposed to affect units in multiple cells, the firing
mechanism is inadequate.)

I think the concept of spread damage (as opposed to point damage), which has been discussed on the list several times before, may be one way of modeling the explosion. I also think that this would probably be easier to implement than to link a missile unit's cXP back to the unit that launched the missile. In the case of spread damage, I am not sure that it makes sense to award cXP for each unit damaged, but simply to award a fixed amount if there was a chance of a hit.

If I get tired of working on the SDL interface this weekend, I will probably look into the spread damage (and possibly some other combat-related) stuff.