Re: Changing the Standard Game

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Elijah Meeks wrote:

> and maybe I'm in the minority here, in sort of a
> French Chef ideal of game design.

As long as I don't have to pay $15 for a two-bite-and-its-gone
appetizer.

> little game.  Much quicker than (Shameless Plug
> Warning) fine games like Bellum or AWLS.

I'm not sure that Bellum belongs in the "fine games" category.
More like "unfinished development" / "early experiment"....

I should probably get around to actually giving it official
"unfinished" status one of these days.

> improvement.  For most of the people who pop on here
> and post once or twice, this game IS XConq,

I agree.

> Trident graphics and 4/hex limits.  There's already
> one 'Classic' XConq, from ver. 5, so maybe the current
> Standard game could become 'Classic pre7.5' on the
> game list, and the Trident/4hex would be the new
> 'Standard Game'.

This sounds like it could be a reasonable solution.

> can do.  If they get into it, then they're welcome to
> start a retro movement and only play the pre7.5 or
> even ver5 or only in curses or on LED lights or
> punchcard or whatever.

Moving right along on the PDP-11 port for Xconq....

> Looks Old to Looks Crappy.  I'm just hoping a
> friendly, brilliant, lurking web designer is reading
> this...

Build a better Standard game and they will come?