Re: The border between fiction and reality

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > However, a different situation arises with move-unit commands, all of which
> > eventually end up in advance_into_cell. At this point we are committed to
> > moving, and we have to know what real units are present in the destination
> > cell.
>
> Well, to me that means there should be an advance action, so that the
> decision between overrun and move (and the other choices, like
> capture) are in the action, rather than outside it.

I agree. After looking at code again, I saw what Hans was actually
having an issue with. I would recommend the 'advance' action as
well. The concept is really not much different than what we have
been discussing regarding attempted attacks and attempted fire;
this is simply an attempted move. And again, the distinction is
handled at the action level, and so there is no requisite that
unit pointers be used to divine something ahead of time at the
task level.