Re: Major bug and what to do about it (long)

> And it is a very hefty price for games in which players might rely on
> guerilla tactics against specific types of units, commando strikes
> against specific targets, etc....

Well, yes, I've gotten in the habit of targeting specific units.  For
example, in the standard game, on land I might target infantry and
armor (because they can capture my cities), and ignore aircraft.
At sea, I might target bomber and troop transports (because they can
carry units which can capture my cities), and ignore fighters and
other ships.

As for whether this is a key part of the game, I don't know.

I will say that it is an *obscure* part of the game.  To the beginner,
it isn't clear what the difference between attack and overrun is.  I
certainly played xconq for a while before I discovered attack, with no
obvious grave loss of capability or fun.

So I guess I'm supportive of the proposal, although it is certainly
true that it is a big change, and worthy of careful consideration.

One detail: it should be visually apparent which unit will be attacked
(at least if it is deterministic).  Probably by making stack order
match defense order one way or another.