Re: time.g weirdness

>> 1. By volume restrictions (terrain capacity and unit-size-in-terrain).
>> 2. By move restrictions (mp-to-enter-terrain and mp-to-leave-terrain).
>> 3. By survival restrictions (vanishes-on and wrecks-on).
>
>This has always seemed confusing to me.
>
>The game designer, to get things to work consistently, seemingly has
>to set a bunch of these properties.
>
>Maybe the number of properties controlling which units can go where
>can be reduced?  Not that I've looked through the existing games
>trying to figure out what combinations are in use (and whether they
>are doing so intentionally or unintentionally).

We could hardly do without either terrain capacities or movement costs. And
the wreck-unit code also serves its own purpose. The question is rather
what the best way is to restrict access to certain terrain types. I usually
use capacities, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to enforce them in all
games.

FWIW, volume restrictions appear to be more robust than move restrictions,
where all sorts of complicated situations can arise due to units entering
or leaving other units etc. Perhaps you remember the "tank sitting in water
bug"? (see last year's mail archive). That was another case of move
restrictions failing to work the way they were supposed to.