Re: New Documentation: Games Library

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> This is a very nice addition. Hopefully, it will make people browsing the
> web site more interested in trying out the game.

Thanks, I hope so too. Matter of fact, that is why I went through
the trouble to begin with.

(It was fun to discover CVS "limitations" when it came time
to check in the horde of files...; I ended up writing a script to
spoon-feed the CVS server one directory at a time.)

> One is what Jim already asked for, even though he didn't refer to it by
> name: the blurb.

I had inferred this was what he was asking for. I think that I
should be able to add that fairly easily tonight. (Along with
making HTML the default output mode for Xcscribe.)

> that when I updated the game library earlier this year. The blurb can now
> also be much longer (max 480 characters) and I tweaked the interfaces so
> that a bigger blurb can be displayed.

Yes, I saw those changes. They were quite recent.

> The other thing that would be nice in the help pages are screenshots of the
> games. Like the ones Stan already put on the web site a long time ago. This
> would give the reader a much better idea about the available modules. Of
> course, this would require some human work since I doubt that xcscribe
> could be made to play games and take screenshots :-).

Well, the Mac version of Xcscribe has that feature.... Just
kidding.

I think the windowshot stuff might be able to be scripted.
Either I'll have to hunt down the sources to my venerable old
friend, 'xv', or else I'll have to find out whether ImageMagick or
GIMP can be made to do what needs to be done with command-line
switches. (Actually, I need to remind myself whether even XV can
do time-delayed captures using command-line switches; it
certainly can if you are using its UI.)

I will also have to think how to make sure focus is in the correct
window before a shot is taken. I suppose if the Xconq window
fills the entire screen, then a screenshot can be taken instead.

Starting Xconq from a script is not a problem: "./xconq -g
modulename". "kill -9" on its PID, after the capture, is even
easier.

The SDL interface is probably ideal for windowshots or
screenshots. But, doing that would feel a bit like
"bait-and-switch" marketing, when we have to tell the newbie to
use the Tcl/Tk interface instead.