Re: More flexible unit image use

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> (except if you try to load all of them into some versions of
> IMFApp).

This is the problem I had in mind, and what I suggested was a
band-aid fix to that problem.

> And I think we still need to keep many of the older images for
> some games, such as "Classic Xconq", which are supposed to be that way.
> Nostalgia for old-time xconqers ...

Sure, I understand that.

> What I had in mind when I talked about the need for an overhaul was the
> image loading code (something which I think we already discussed).

Right. I knew this is what you were talking about. Like I said, I
was suggesting a band-aid fix (with the added benefit of
improving the "signal-to-noise ratio" of 'imf.dir') for one
specific problem. Obviously, it is not a true solution to the
problem.

> If you want to make a useful contribution, I think rather than throwing
> away images in imf.dir, you might consider going through some of the
> existing game modules and updating the images they use with better images
> already available in Xconq.

That is implicit with the suggestion of removing any in-use images
from 'imf.dir'.

> images. I think many more game modules could easily be given a more
> attractive look that way.

I agree.