Re: possibility of emulation

Hi Jim,

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > Distance and direction calculations in Xconq are heavily dependent on
> > the hex grid. To add support for a square grid would be a major effort,
> > I think.
>
> Well, a significant effort (more than just fixing dir.h and the
> drawing code), but not necessarily more of an effort than writing a
> game engine from scratch ;-).

Oh sure, I agree that it is doable, and it would be nice to be
able to abstract Xconq from the hex grid at some point. Having the
ability to use a grid of squares or other polygonal tiling would
open up the game engine for many more games to be
implemented/emulated. Personally, I don't feel up to it right now.

Even wilder__, it would be interesting to see if one could set up
geometry calculations to make local plane approximations of
multi-dimensional saddle curves or spheroidal pieces. (There
probably couldn't be any decent, comprehensible
representation beyond a certain zoom factor, so there would
be no world map.) Xconq on a Klein Bottle map, anyone?