Re: Newest code crashes Tcl/Tk

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> >> That's strange. When I do the same thing, my first entry is:
> >
> >Probably timezones.  I don't remember how CVS handles them in this
> >context.
>
> Right. But this makes no sense. CVS should use local time or possibly GMT
> to date a checkin. The checkin date should not depend on who is checking
> out the code. In fact, if this is what is going on, I would call it a bug
> in CVS.

Well, if it's a bug, then it is a very well-documented one. :-)
>From my CVS manpage:

-D date_spec
  Use the most recent revision no later than date_spec  (a  single
  argument,  date  description  specifying a date in the past).  A
  wide variety of date formats are supported,  in particular  ISO
  ("1972-09-24  20:05")  or  Internet  ("24 Sep 1972 20:05").  The
  date_spec is interpreted as being in the local timezone,  unless
  a   specific   timezone  is  specified.

[snipped, examples below]

  3/31/92 10:00:07 PST
  22:00 GMT

To get everyone on the same page, maybe we should be doing
checkouts or updates with the date specifier and "0:00 GMT".