Re: Consumption-per-fire?

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 22:35, mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Eric McDonald wrote:
> > This actually raises one of the gripes I have had with capture. A
> > captive unit should not always be able to be used by the capturing side.
>
> If the "unit" basically represents inanimate equipment, then it often
> seems natural for the capturing side to be able to use it.  If it
> represents people, then that seems much less natural - prisoners of war
> don't turn into soldiers for the side that captured them, barring a really
> good brainwashing technology.

Right. That is what I was getting at; I just didn't state it as clearly
as you. ;-)

>   Maybe it would be cool to be able to
> overload wrecking even further with the chance to specify a unit type that
> the captured unit will turn into - but I think that's another enhancement
> that doesn't really need to be made right now.

Actually, I had that thought as well, when I was working on
Wreckreation, the experimental game module I just checked in. I still
ended up doing it, but had to use death as a catalyst to get the desired
results. I may yet implement a true 'change-type-on-capture' table; I
think it would be fairly easy to do. But, I think I should probably fix
a few bugs first, so that I don't feel too guilty about adding features
when we are trying to get a release out the door.

> On teleportation: one cool way to teleport is to construct a new instance
> of yourself at a distance, and then be consumed by the hp-to-garrison
> requirement of creating the new unit.  I haven't tried that, but I think
> it'd work.

Neat idea. I had not thought of that.

  Regards,