Re: Curses and SDL apps for Windows and MacOS

Elijah Meeks wrote:

Hans,

This is my first experience with the SDL interface. It seems more smooth than the TCL/TK, is this because
it only opens the default game or is it just better?

Partly because it does less, partly because SDL is
tuned and honed for scrolling.

It looks great. Yes, I know it's barely there, but it
looks more like a game interface than TCL/TK, which
I've hated ever since I played Xconq on a Mac... Would it be capable of allowing designers to customize
the graphics of the interface (The borders,
backgrounds, etc.) so that the different games will
have different feels?

The plus of SDL is that interfaces built with it will look and feel
a lot more like the usual commercial games, but the minus is that
you don't get *anything* for free; all must be constructed in C
code. Parts of a complete SDL interface will be painful because
you have to have your own widgets, your own artwork, etc, and
you want to make that per-game-module, that's even more work.
There are some widget kits for SDL now I think, they'd come in
handy. So I think it's a direction worth pursuing, but be
prepared to do a lot more grungy GUI hacking.

I actually have a few unchecked-in changes that ought to be in
there so nobody reinvents.