Re: Compile Warnings

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 22:13, Hans Ronne wrote:

> A possible problem would be bitmap editors chocking on the macro, but at
> least my editor seems to be rather tolerant. Let's hope others are as well.
> It does of course save the edited bitmap as "static char" so you would now
> have to always remember to put the macro back by hand if you edit the
> bitmaps.

Yes. This is a drawback, but I note that the SDL and Mac interfaces do
not appear to use X bitmaps. And my guess is that the ones for the
Xt/Xaw and Tcl/Tk interfaces do not get changed all that often, if at
all.

> The fact that the bitmap editor thinks an xbm should be "static char" and
> not "static unsigned char" is interesting and makes we wonder what the
> standard really is for the xbm format ...

Well, XCreateBitmapFromData supposedly takes either, and if Xlib had a
standard for bitmap data, then I would assume that the function would
adhere to that standard instead.

Also, as a side note, the C++ compatibility patch that you applied must
have only been to get the Tcl/Tk interface to build. Like I said, there
is significant breakage regarding the X11 headers when trying to build
the Xt/Xaw interface with C++. Furthermore, not all the bitmaps in the
directory were declared "static char". Some were still declared "static
unsigned char", so that patch was not comprehensive.