Re: Screwy UI Resupply Code

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Peter Garrone wrote:

> task. I think this "do_one_take" sidesteps the task/prep-action
> procedure.

Yes. This is what I referring to in my original message in this
thread.

>So I would remove the "take" action entirely.

I disagree. As Jim points out, there are times where manual
give/take is still useful. This functionality should continue to
be available, even if much of it can be automated in many cases.

> With the fueling development I am working on
> it is virtually never necessary to push a resupply task, as the units do
> it automatically, and the end of turn resupply code can handle the rest.

One of the things I was looking into was to scan each cell, as a
unit is executing a move-to task, to see if any units can serve as
willing donors to provide materials for free (costing no ACP). It
was this investigation that turned up the UI resupply screwiness,
once I realized that the GDL default was to disallow resupply.

As a side note:
I don't see this ["free" on-the-fly resupplying] as necessarily
being at cross-purposes with refueling automation you might
have included in your new pathing code. It is one thing to plan a
path to cross resupply points, but another thing to utilize
resupply points while moving. I am interested in improving the
latter.

> I think that a unit should only get fuel by occupying the supply unit
> directly, for those units that can only recieve fuel from distance zero.

Technically, anything that is in the same cell is distance 0. Why
should a carrier at sea have to enter a tanker unit in order to
resupply, when "running some hoses between the ships" would
suffice?

> A worthwhile development would be to adjust the resupply task so that it
> doesnt waste acp by waiting till the next turn, and also when units have

I started to address this some time ago. It is currently #if 0'd
out right now, but it is definitely on my agenda to complete.

> not actually entered a resupply unit and are full up again the task
> completes.

If you mean units which have been resupplied by supply lines
between turns, and thus no longer need to do an explicit move-to
and resupply, __I addressed this a week or two ago. Judging
from your comments here and in the next email, it would seem that
you have not done a CVS update in a few weeks....