From: Eric McDonald [mailto:mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu]
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 11:45 PM
To: Erik Jessen
Cc: 'Jim Kingdon'; xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: RE: HW requirements

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Erik Jessen wrote:

> So, is anybody even really considering HW resources when actually
doing
> development?  (other than the general rule of "don't be wasteful")?

Well, that's the rule I follow. I try to be as conscious of memory
and execution efficiency as possible without writing code that
is too convoluted.

Since I may be adding some more tables of precomputed values soon,
I recently implemented packed boolean tables. On machines with
32-bit ints, this means using 1/32 the amount of memory that one
might otherwise use with 1 bool per int. (Bit vectors can easily
be created from this implementation, since they are simply 1 by n
or n by 1 packed boolean tables.)

That said, it is hard for me to "feel the pain" when it comes to
memory crunches, as the machine I use for development has 1 giga_,
I mean, gibibyte of memory. I suppose, for testing purposes, I
could lie to the Linux kernel about how much memory I have by
giving it a mem=64 argument from the boot loader or something....